Angus Heritage

Sharing a piece of history

I grew up in the Simmental business, and still have Simmental cattle with my family in Canada. I am actually quite jealous because they are heading to the first cattle show of the year, and I won't be there. One of my bulls calves, and one of my heifer calves will be going. I have gave them all instructions to call as soon as they are done showing to let me know how things go, but we'll see if that happens. I'll probably be calling them!

Back to talking about history. The Simmental breed has a lot of history, but it is pretty small when you compare it to breeds like Angus and Hereford. I love looking at all the old pictures of Angus cattle. The were short, wide, fat and round. This week one of the American Angus Association board members brought a video to our attention called "What Am I Bid." This 1967 movie feature Leroy Van Dyke's hit single the Auctioneer. On the block is the famous auctioneer Ray Sims, who will be inducted into the Saddle and Sirloin Club this fall. Keith Evans, who is a past director of public relations for the American Angus Association, also makes a cameo appearance. It is amazing to think even back then what a reach Angus had. Enjoy!

You have read this article cattle / video / work with the title Angus Heritage. You can bookmark this page URL http://miavamp22.blogspot.com/2010/06/angus-heritage.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...