Green ribbons

Iowa State Fair

Well, the Iowa State Fair Hereford Show has come and gone for the Boy and I. Although, I am not quite caught up on sleep, we had an awesome time working together. It can always be hard when a new person enters the farm (that would be me). Jon (we are going to call the boy by his first name today) has been working hard on his same herd of Herefords for many years now. Luckily, Jon and I both bring different skills to the table, and together we can take JJB Cattle Co. to another level.


When I got to the  show I decided to take before and after pictures of the stall. I was really please with how the stall looked all week. Not only is it important to have a bed pack (what the heifer lay on) that is comfortable for the cattle, but is also important to have a clean and well presented stall. Jon did all the graphics for the banners and stall cards and they turned out great. I even cooked while at the show, more details to come on that later.

Randy, Jon's dad also came and was in charge of washing the cattle. Each day Randy came back soaked, but those heifers were sparking clean! 

As for the heifers we brought three yearling (year old) heifers. Dana picture below is my favorite. 


We didn't bring any blue or red ribbons home. The heifers weren't quite what the judge was looking for this time, but it was fun for me to be back out there in the showring. It is hard when you put that much work into your livestock to not have as much success in the showring as you would like. Yet, for me it was a reminder that that even those I want success, I also do this because of the people and I love being a part of agriculture. Throughout the week I got to catch up with old friends and make many new ones. Jon and will be back at the Iowa State Fair again, and one day we'll have those champion banners hanging in the stall. 
You have read this article cattle / Iowa / showing with the title Green ribbons. You can bookmark this page URL http://miavamp22.blogspot.com/2011/08/green-ribbons.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...