Deep inside the cornfield - Corn Report

Inside the field. 

Wow back to back corn reports, I know I am on a roll. Since there hasn't been much visual change in the height of the corn I thought this time I would bring you inside the cornfield. But first let's once again see what the field looked like last week.


The cornfield on August 27, 2011. 


And this was the field on September 5, 2011. However, I promised to take you into the cornfield. So, here we go.


The tops of the corn stalks are still really green, however the bottoms are starting to turn brown. Harvest is getting closer. 


You can look down the rows and see how straight they are. They use GPS to plant the fields leaving the rows incredibly straight. You can also see some stalks on the ground. Those stalks called residue and are left on the field to return nutrients back to the soil.


And sometimes you find a corn monster in those cornfields. 

Last week I blogged about why the corn is black on the end. 
And although I have been told by the "Iowa" corn experts I have been pretty accurate in my corn reports I did get straightened out on one thing. What you are looking at above is an ear of corn. Once the kernels come of it is then a corn cob. 


So where does all this corn produced in the U.S. go? 14% to exports, 39% Livestock & Dairy feed, 47% to food, seed and industrial, according to the USDA. That means our cows get some of it, and some ends up on your plates!
You have read this article corn / crops / Iowa with the title Deep inside the cornfield - Corn Report. You can bookmark this page URL http://miavamp22.blogspot.com/2011/09/deep-inside-cornfield-corn-report.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...