Chipotle your Grammy commercial still doesn't change my mind.

Ok, time to revisit the subject. 

Things I would like to point out.

1. I have not eaten at Chipotle for years. You can read about that here.
2. I support consumers having options on the method their food was raised - organic, natural, conventional (my family and the boy's family and 99% of the food on the grocery store would be conventional). And no I don't consider our farm a factory farm.
3. I can't stand when groups, individuals companies have to criticize, falsify information, etc. to make their decisions look like the better choice. I get marketing, I am a marketer but to me this is not the way to go about it.

There are so many things wrong with the picture painted in the Chipotle Grammy commercial (this commercial has been out for awhile, just not on T.V.) that I don't know where to start.

0:21 into the video

Pigs, I hope you don't live in Iowa because with the windchill this morning it was 1 degree F (-17 C). If you were outside roaming pastures you probably would have died. 

0:36 into the video

Yes, cattle can be found in barns. Dairy cattle are often in these huge, and I mean huge open aired barns, and they can roam around eat when they want to, and have these amazing bed packs to lay on. Some farms have waterbeds for their dairy cows to lay on. If you would like to ask a dairy farmer more about how their cows live please let me know. I will put you in touch with one, and I am sure they would love to let you tour their farm so you can see first hand how these cattle are living. 

The beef cattle we raise only come into the barn if they are about to calve and might need a little help. Cattle in feedlot spend time in spacious pens, with windbreaks to shield them from the elements. And those feedlot cattle are only in those pens for a few months of their lives (average lifespan around 13-16 months I would say). Yes, we eat feedlot cattle. 

0:48 in the video

I am sure this part is referring to the hormones that SOME farmers feed their livestock. These hormones are already naturally occurring in livestock. There is actually more hormones in a head of cabbage than a steak, by A LOT. This is an in-depth subject so if you would like more information please let me know. And if you choose (you have a choice) to buy beef, chicken, pork, etc. without hormones that is perfectly fine. Just look for hormone free on the label. 

0:58 in the video

I live in eastern Iowa, and I am pretty glad my food comes from across the country. If it didn't I would be pretty limited on what I would find at my grocery store in the winter. p.s. I can't even keep a house plant alive so I am pretty sure a garden wouldn't be so successful. 

I know you shouldn't blog when you are angry, but I am. My friend and family are farmers. I care about the food that I am raising for you to consume, and although we only have 20 cows, we are planning to grow. I support feedlots, dairies, pork farmers. I know families that have thousands of head of cattle, might seem like what consumers and media call a factory farm, but those people are families just like me. Ask a farmer about your food not Chipotle. 

Update #1: 
A quote from Chipotle's annual report - 
“We do, however, face challenges associated with pursuing Food With Integrity. For example, current economic conditions have led to natural chicken and steak supply shortages. It can take longer to identify and secure relationships with suppliers meeting our criteria, and there are higher costs and other risks associated with purchasing naturally raised or sustainably grown ingredients. The growing time for naturally raised meat and sustainably grown vegetables can be longer. Herd losses can also be greater when animals are not treated with antibiotics and hormones and field losses can be higher for organically grown produce. Given the costs associated with natural and sustainable farming practices, and recently due to decreased demand as a result of the weak economic environment, many large suppliers have not found it economical to pursue business in this area.”
Read more from this great blog - Beltway Beef

Update #2:
Here is a very interesting post from a pig farmer about the type of barns they used in that past and what they use now. Thanks Chris Chinn

Update #3:
I have always enjoyed having the option of having anonymous comments. This way it makes it easier for those without a blogger account to comment. However, those that are continuing to comment anonymous and attack me, you just lost the privilege for everyone. I have respect for other people's opinion and love discussion we can all learn from each other. 
You have read this article agriculture advocacy / food / video with the title Chipotle your Grammy commercial still doesn't change my mind.. You can bookmark this page URL http://miavamp22.blogspot.com/2012/02/chipotle-your-grammy-commercial-still.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...